7 Then the angel said to me, “Why are you astonished? I will explain to you the mystery of the woman and of the beast, with the seven heads and the ten horns, that carries her. 8 The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up from the abyss and go to destruction. Those who live on the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast that was, and is not, and is to come. 9 This calls for a mind that has wisdom. “The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman is seated. They are also seven kings: 10 Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come, and when he comes, he must remain for only a little while. 11 The beast that was and is not, is itself an eighth king, but it belongs to the seven and is going to destruction. 12 The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but they will receive authority as kings with the beast for one hour. 13 These have one purpose, and they give their power and authority to the beast. 14 These will make war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will conquer them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings. Those with him are called, chosen, and faithful.”
Did you know that the Reformation is quietly mentioned in prophecy? This episode is diving in to the history and formation of the Catholic and Protest
- The official start of The Reformation is generally attributed to October 31, 1517, when Luther nailed his 95 Theses.
- There were attempts at reformation before Luther, as well.
- The invention of the printing press and translating the Bible into the common tongue gave ordinary people access to the Word. The Gutenberg Bible (one of the first books ever printed) was still printed in Latin, but over time the availability of the Bible in the common tongue (e.g., English, German, etc.) became the norm
- King Henry splitting from the Catholic church over his desire tho divorce his wife is both an example of the power the papacy had over European kings as well as part of the success of the reformation.
- The Vatican has a ton of money.
"The Pope is the ruler of both Vatican City State and the Holy See. The Holy See, as the supreme body of government of the Catholic Church, is a sovereign juridical entity under international law."
The relationship change between the US and Catholicism
- Many protestants fled persecution from the Catholic church during The Reformation and ended up in the US. (There were also a few Catholics who fled persecution from protestants that ended up in the US, as well)
- The Supreme Court shifted drastically to now being ~62% (75% if Trump's nominee is confirmed) Catholic.
- JFK is the only professed Catholic president the US has had.
The City on 7 Hills
Many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and they will deceive many
- The picture usually attributed to Jesus was painted approximately in the 1500s—it is not the Messiah.
- Many suspect the picture is based on Cesare Borgia.
- Whoever it is a picture of, it does not match descriptions of the Biblical Christ; Christ was not European.
- For an in-depth study, check out this reference: Who Is the Antichrist?
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, drive out demons in your name, and do many miracles in your name?’ 23 Then I will announce to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you lawbreakers!’
Bible verses mentioned in the episode:
- People claim they know Christ but He denies knowing them — Matthew 7:21-23
- A beast is a nation — Daniel, Acts 10-11, Revelation
- Do not make a graven image — Exodus 20:4
- Descriptions of people "turning white" — Exodus 4:6-7; 2 Kings 5:27
- The woman (Church) hiding in the wilderness — Revelation 12
- Matthew 24:5; Luke 21:8; Mark 13:6
Leaders of Reformation Identify Papacy as Antichrist
I have looked up the individual references, but for ease, I'm linking to a reference of references 😊.
There are many more, but I only listed the most well known (other names are included and cited in the reference).
- John Wycliffe — Bible Translator
- William Tyndale — Bible Translator
- Martin Luther — founder of the Lutheran Church
- John Knox — founder of the Presbyterian Church
- John Calvin — founder of Calvinism
- John Wesley — founder of the Methodist Church
- Charles Spurgeon — leader in the early Reformed Baptist Church
References and Footnotes
- Sarah Pruitt. "How Henry VIII’s Divorce Led to Reformation". History. October 22, 2018
- Ahiza Garcia. "Vatican Inc.: 5 facts about the business of the Catholic Church". CNN. September 24, 2015
- Kristopher Morrison. Wealth of Roman Catholic Church impossible to calculate". National Post. March 9, 2013
- "The Inquisition: A Model For Modern Interrogators". NPR. January 23, 2012
- "U.S. Relations With the Holy See". US Department of State. August 27, 2020
- Steven R. Weisman. "U.S. and Vatican Restore Full Ties After 117 Years". New York Times. January 11, 1984
- "Demographics of the Supreme Court of the United States". Wikipedia; visited October 13, 2020
- Kim Lacapria. "Is the Modern Face of Jesus Modeled on a ‘Gangster’s Son’?". Snopes. January 3, 2017
- "Seven Hills of Rome". Encyclopædia Britannica. July 20, 1998
- "Bible Verses about Woman as Symbol of Church". Church of the Great God; visited October 13, 2020
- "Historic Quotes on the Papacy being the Antichrist". Reformed Books Online; visited October 13, 2020