2 This is what the Lord says:
Do not learn the way of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the heavens,
although the nations are terrified by them,
3 for the customs of the peoples are worthless.
Every year couples clamor to get flowers and chocolates for each other to celebrate the commercial embodiment of “love,” but is valentines day just a commercial holiday or is there more to it?
- In the 5th century, a pope "converted" the Roman festival of Lupercalia to the Feast of Purification, which became our modern Valentine's Day
- The massacre I remembered is from 1929; it has nothing to do with the origin of Valentine's Day, though I've definitely had people bring it up when the date is talked about.
Bible Verses to Reference
- Deuteronomy 14:2
- Revelation 18:4
- 2 Corinthians 6:17
- 2 Corinthians 7:1
- Romans 12:2
- 1 John 2:15-16
- Matthew 6:24
- 2 Corinthians 5:17
References and Footnotes
- "St. Valentine's Day Massacre". History. February 5, 2020
- "Valentine's Day". Encyclopædia Britannica. April 18, 2019
- "Lupercalia". Encyclopædia Britannica. November 8, 2016