February 12, 2020
Table of Contents
1 Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?” 2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ ” 4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.
The world wasn’t created with sin in it, so before we can talk about our history as people. we have to discuss the point of origin of sin. Where did we go wrong? Why did we choose sin? What are the consequences of that choice?
I met Michael in the young adult group at my local church. Michael is involved in multiple ministries at the church, works full time, and is in school to become a pharmacist!
- We didn't talk about the fact that the fruit is not and apple. That idea was popularized by Paradise Lost
- Genesis 2:18 says it is not good that man be alone. This is the first time God says something is not good.
- Little Light Studios is a ministry that breaks down subliminal (and not so subliminal) messages in modern TV shows. If nothing else, I recommend their video on the science of consuming media.
- Ellen White, whom Michael references, is thought to be a prophet by some (mainly the Seventh Day Adventist Church). I have never read her writings and therefore make no judgements about her.
- When I said "that's a whole different topic" with respect to animals talking in the garden, I was thinking of a theory I've heard in which some people believe the serpent spoken of was not a literal serpent. I don't agree with this interpretation, but the reason I didn't bring it up was because I thought it would derailed the conversation.
Bible verses to reference
- Symbolism of Woman as a church
2022 by Ree Hughes 🏠 Home ▪️ Instagram ▪️ Facebook ▪️ YouTube ▪️Contact Us
PSALMS to God is a blog, podcast, and YouTube channel that discusses many topics and issues, always keeping YHWH as the anchor. Hosea 4:6 says “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge”—here, the aim is to always ask questions and study to find the answers. You can keep up with new content by signing up for the weekly newsletter.